Thursday, August 18, 2011

We are NOT all that.

I never know what to say when people tell Mr. and I how much we rock because we are becoming foster parents.
Or how many people tell us we are angels and we're great and I must be supermom and we are brave. We are this and we are that, blah blah blah. I know they have great intentions, and I know what they are meaning...but it feels so very weird and wrong to take any credit for anything that we are doing, because it is not US.

-We are not brave.
-We are not self-less.
-I am not supermom (ah ahaha, or even close.)
-We are not angels.

-We ARE thankful for all that God has done for us.
-We ARE acting because our eyes have been opened. And once they are opened, its very hard to explain.... but you cannot shut them. I stress on this all.the.time . God knows that we know about the 147 million orphans in the world. He knows that we know about the 400,000 foster children in the U.S. He is holding us responsible to do something about it. Its kind of like, we are obligated to (but also want to). Once you know, you cannot ignore it...your eyes will not shut.

I know we are a little crazy. I've been told that more than a few times. We don't know what we are getting ourselves into, and almost every day I hear that little voice saying "Just what do you think your doing? Your barely keeping your head above water with your three girls, and you want to bring in one or two more?"

But I know with a deep down certainty though, that God has called us to this journey. Because in and of myself...I am far to comfortable and interested in my own comfort to take the risk this involves just to suit my own fancy. I couldn't and wouldn't do this unless God out a fire deep in my belly that wont quit. He wont let it go. He gave me a passion to bring some little ones into this fold that we call home.

So that voice whispering in my ear...it isn't his voice. It doesn't bring me strength or comfort. It's the voice of the enemy, so I push it back and drown it out with the truth. I quiet the anxiousness it stirs up with reminders of HIS faithfulness to us, and refocus back to him, the one who's called us to journey.

So please...never ever,ever think that we are brave enough, selfless enough, smart enough, creative enough to do this thing. We can't do it, he is going to do it through us. He has the patience to fill out all of paperwork, he has the patience to wait, and wait, and wait on workers and appointments. He has the strength, knowledge and patience to parent these children and guide them. Because we cant, and we realize this every.single.day. Usually when we have been playing referee for hours, or when we are up-to-here with our patience, or when none of our discipline methods seem to be working and we are at the end of our rope.

He will equip us for what he has called us to do. It is not about us, it is about him. That is what we want you to know.

"Lord, you are great. You are really worthy of praise. No one can completely understand how great you are.Parents will praise your works to their children. They will tell about your mighty acts. They will speak about your glorious majesty. I will spend time thinking about your miracles. They will speak about the powerful and wonderful things you do. I will talk about the great things you have done. They will celebrate your great goodness. They will sing with joy about your holy acts. The Lord is gracious. He is kind and tender. He is slow to get angry. He is full of love. The Lord is good to all. He shows deep concern for everything he has made."

Psalm 145:3-9

No comments:

Post a Comment