Saturday, July 2, 2011

classic: here vs. there

I know you've heard it one time or another, "Why adopt overseas when there are thousands of kids right here to adopt?"
As Christian's, I don't believe it matters. I think its where God is leading you, and he leads everyone different ways.
Orphans are orphans, no matter what country they come from, they are all children in need & children who deserve loving families.

Orphan care in itself (Foster care and adoption) is hard & messy. I heard someone state before that adopting through the Foster care system is "the easy way". No adoption is "easy". There is no adoption without pain & hurt. There is no adoption without COST. The country does not matter when it comes down to it.

An orphan from overseas is no different than an orphan from our very own town, and when presented with the never failing question of why adopt over there and not here, that is exactly what I would say.

We are fostering because we know it's what God is calling us to do right now and that's what matters. Maybe an international adoption is in our future. Maybe not. Maybe adoption from the Foster care system is where will adopt from. When the time comes, our decision is going to come from him. Not from opinions about which country is the neediest, which way would be harder or easier, or which is trendier.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

6 comments:

  1. good for you for "listening" to the one that matters - it seems that of all parenting out there, fostering and adoption get even more unsolicited opinions if that is possible. I agree, kids are kids. Need is need. And God pieces our families together in his own wonderful way and all we have to do is be open to him and be faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who was adopted when she was a baby here in the US. She always talks about how we should adopt from here first. I feel the same way you do. All orphans are the same and in need of homes.

    I wish more people were open to adopting older children. It breaks my heart seeing so many kids with out a family. That's why what you are doing is so amazing. You will take in those children and love and care for them. You are doing something so awesome!

    Blessings,
    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree-- I have friends who have adopted internationally and think that's great for them, but I know fostering to adopt just *felt right* for us. Only you can know what's the best for your particular family at any particular time. You'll get lots of unsolicited advice no matter what, so you just have to make the right choice for your family. Good luck to you!

    http://learningtoappreciatethejourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN!!!!!! The bible says care for the orphan, it doesn't say where that orphan is! I think if we spent more time on the same team building each other up and praying for each other we would get a lot farther than if we are tearing each other down and judging each other! Adoption is messy so if someone is looking for the "easy" way in adoption, I say good luck :)

    Can't wait to see where God leads you! Here or there! Where ever it is, he will have the perfect child for your family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All orphans need a home, but children in the US will have food, clothing, medical care. "We Are THAT Family" states that orphans in Africa with HIV are stricken with a death sentence. I believe she has adopted 2 HIV orphans.

    ReplyDelete