Monday, February 7, 2011

Why Foster?

It's no surprise to me when I don't get encouraging responses about our family becoming a Foster home. Some people just don't get it, and I understand that.
It's not about us.
It's not about my children.
It's not about "how it will effect my children, or us".
It's not about people thinking we are crazy, or weird, or ignorant, "copying" other's, or insane.
It's not about how many children we have, or will have.
It's not about having a stressful time getting multiple children out of the house, or in bed, or being able to get them quiet enough so I can answer a phone call.
It's not about any kind of money involved in Foster care.

It's about God.
Obedience.
His children.
HIS children who didn't ask to be taken away from their families.
They didn't ask to be torn apart from the only people they know, and even ripped apart from their siblings. I often think of MY children. What if MY children were in Foster Care? What if MY girl's had to separated not only from us, but from their best friends and comforters, each other. And my heart breaks at the very thought.

They didn't ask for any of the hurt they endure.
But- they go through it regardless.
Who is going to speak up for them?
Who is going to love them?
Who is going to give them hugs and assure them that everything is going to be ok?
Who is going to make sure they are safe, fed, loved, healthy and educated?
Who is going to pray for them?
We can't leave it up to someone else to do.
We are HIS hand's and feet.
There are not enough families willing to love these children.
There are so many excuses people have, it makes me ill.

"Oh I'm done raising kids"
"I don't have enough room, they would have to share a room with my daughter/son"
"I'd be to sad to let the child go"
"I don't want to deal with any problems the child might have"
"I have enough children"
"I'd go crazy with another child in my house"
"Oh I'm so glad your doing this" (OH, well I'm glad you approve!)

I usually just smile when people tell me these things, and I now realize that I shouldn't withhold the truth in fear of offending someone.
The truth is...
It's our responsibility.
God did not put us here to only care about our own families.
Worry about our own children.
Sharing bedrooms? I bet some of these children would share a room with your child in a split second if he/she knew that you would provide love,safety and stability for them.
As for being able to handle it, I assure you and I remind myself daily...God will not give you anything you cannot handle. Period.
I'd be to hard? Yes. It will be hard. But it will be so worth it.
We have not been given just the privilege of trusting Christ, but also the privilege of suffering for him...(phil 1:27-29)

It all comes down to God.
What are you doing for him?
What is your excuse?

So, why are we fostering?
Because God is asking us to, and we don't have an excuse.

Because it's our opportunity to make a difference in a child's life. To comfort them, to teach them about Jesus, to pray for his/her family, to show our own children that THIS is what God is about.
Love.
Even with the messy stuff that may come with it.






11 comments:

  1. I have to agree with you! I believe God, has a plan for every family out there, and if you are able to foster, then you are answering gods plans that he is asking you to do!

    I personal think foster is great! I would absoulty love to do it! But, I know I can't because we move all the time! I would hate for a child to be with me then 2 months later we have to give the kid back up, because they Army gave us orders to move!


    - God Bless You!
    You are so blessed for what you are doing, and my church is praying for you, that you will be able to foster, then go into adoption! Let god, take your kids in your hands too! He will bless with how many he think you can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shay. People are watching, listening and learning...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been foster parents for 8ish years. 24 Kids. People think we are crazy, we've had 8 in the house at one time, 5 schools, changed bedrooms more times than I'd like to count. We've had kids for six years and has been unable to adopt them. Everyone asks why we don't just stop. Really. Just "give them back" to whom? We are the only home they've ever known, sure one of them was in six other houses before he landed here but this is his home, we are their family. You can't just give them back.

    I pray for you to have the wisdom to answer everyone in kindness. I know it's been difficult for me at times. The kids (for the most part) are a joy. I also pray you have at least one sane rational caseworker. I owe all of out success to having a great first worker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are crazy- IN LOVE WITH GOD!!! :) You completely put it perfectly! It is all about God asking us to do something....it is a NEED a REAL LIVE NEED!!! It is NOT something we should put off! It is not about ourselves! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May God continue to bless your family, Shay!

    You are doing the most beautiful thing of all...following and obeying God's call on your family! He has given you a ministry and a plan...

    "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."

    He already had this planned for you, and it's so exciting to see you walking down that path! May He continue to light your path & your way ever brighter with each step!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love this post, you hit it spot on! :) it's not about us at all.. LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post! We're in Australia and have just started the process to become foster parents for the same reasons you've listed here. This post was a great encouragement, Thanks!

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awesome what you are doing. You have taught me a lot with this post! I have a lot of thinking to do about our family's future...

    ReplyDelete
  9. IMPACT!! KABOOM SHAY!! WELL SAID.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We feel that we are called to foster; however, not just any child. We have to think first about the boy we've already adopted. We sadly had to have a child removed that was bullying him. We are not taking more placements until he is ready. Bless you and your wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete