Saturday, March 27, 2010

What are you putting into YOUR body?

Last night I got to go grocery shopping {alone!}. Strolling down the aisles, I found myself putting thing's in the cart that I normally do not buy. Organic milk, plain non fat yogurt, real butter, raisins {yes, raisins!}, celery, carrots {ok, by now you can tell that we are not big fresh veggie eaters}, salad mix, flaxseed, mom's best all natural cereal {which is only $2.12 for an 24oz box & its really good!}, plain natural granola,cage free eggs, dried berries and more.
After reading about the "Health Revolution Petition" along with researching about healthier foods and hormone/antibiotic/pesticide filled meat & dairy, it made me ill. It made me think to myself "what am I putting into my body?"
My dad told me about a patient he had who was 83 years old, but looked like he was 40 and was in excellent health. My dad asked him what he was doing, and he told my dad "well for one thing, I don't eat any of that crap ya'll get from the grocery store!"
This man ate wild game that he killed and had processed,{deer, rabbit, duck etc}. He had his own hen's for eggs, goats for milk, and his own fruit and vegetable gardens {Im sure his wife had to buy things like flower & sugar from the store, of course}.
What chemicals are in these foods that I fill my body, and my families body with? What hormones? Antibiotics? Pesticides? and just plain chemicals are we intaking? ...and why?

Why WOULDN'T you want the food you eat to be as close to it's natural state as possible?
Take cheese for instance, whenever I think of a chemical filled food item, I think of the cheese in the wrappers that is all shiny and plastic looking and says "cheese product". What the heck is THAT? It's a bunch of chemicals and dyes, a little bit of milk and some cheese flavoring. Since when did we start eating stuff like that?

While I was in the store, a man {someone that I know} walked by my cart & said "organic milk...whats the difference, it all tastes the same". I just smiled and kept walking. It tastes the same, yes! However, it's not from a cow that is cooped up with hundreds of other diseased cows getting injected with a bunch of crap! Did you know they even milk cows that are sick? YEP! The same with chickens.

I know, I know. "I've been eating those foods my entire life and I'm fine". Really? Are we fine? I know I'm overweight, I know that america has billions and billions of obese people, I know that it's such a problem in the U.S that now we have CHILDREN fighting obesity. If I lived in another country, I promise, I'd think that American's were the fattest most disgusting people on the planet {and we kind of are, okay, maybe i think that now.lol..}. Look at what we eat compared to other countries! Have you ever ordered chinese food and went to pick it up, and see one of the chinese people at a table eating a bowl of plain white rice? It always makes me feel gross to think that they don't even eat the food they sell us!

I'm hoping this is more than just a phase. It really helps to ask myself before I eat something, "ok, what am I about to put into my body?" and for all the "my food is fine" people out there...WHY NOT try to eat more natural? Do you really know what your putting into your body?





4 comments:

  1. Hate "cheese product"...I've noticed we all feel so much better (more energy) when we eat less "junk".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We buy very little processed foods and I always buy organic milk. Yuck, I don't even want to think about those poor cows!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!! Eating better is one of the best things you can do for your kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean because I find myself buying the same super processed hormone filled foods every week. Then one time I will try really hard to have a healthy month and it feels so good to buy healthy foods. Then I get lazy and buy crap again. Never fails.

    ReplyDelete