Friday, January 29, 2010

I think i've done enough page updating for now! I am finally trying to get back all the things I lost when I attempted to switch my layout, and it's a pain.
I have a friend who is really into budgeting and stuff. I mean, she has spreadsheets for all their bills, spreadsheets of her local grocery store prices and all. She has two kids the same age as mine, and her grocery bill for two weeks is in the $70's!!! Are you kidding me? Two week's of groceries for us cost about $230.00! So I asked her how she did it, I don't think I'll ever get it down that low, but I wouldn't mind saving some money in this area.
So she made me a shopping list and meal plan for the next two weeks. She did really good, I DID change two things, because I don't like having the same thing two times in a week, and she had it on there twice. So I added two different meals that I wanted.
I think I did pretty good. My food total was $125 and some change. She budgeted 117 for it. It actually would have been under $100 if I hadn't added extra junk while at the store...it was my first time, can't be perfect! Now, I just can't be lazy about cooking. Which is kinda hard for me...but I can cook every night for two weeks. I can. I will. We'll see how long this last's, and if we have to run to the store for something in the next two weeks!

So, something kind of cool that happened today. The expenses we have coming up in the next few months have been on my mind. I haven't been worried or stressed about them too much, because thanks to God, we have never been without. Just kind of thinking about them, and trying to make a tighter budget for them. The first expense we have is getting the girls new beds. Poor Addy is sleeping on her crib mattress on the floor (her crib broke a few months ago). So, we held our breaths and ordered a bunk bed set for them. Got them for a good price, but then the mattresses together are more than the beds! I had not budgeted in that at all and I had been pulling money from here and there in our budget to put aside for the mattresses. Then today I got an email from a man who is getting rid of two twin mattresses that were used in his guest room because they are moving. They don't have kids (kind of a PLUS if your buying something from someone) and he wanted for two mattresses, the price of one! That was totally God! He knew what had been on my mind, and he totally blessed us! I kept thinking to myself "okay God, i've done nothing special lately, as a matter of fact i've been a big slacker. what did we do to continue to be so blessed?"
Once again, God showed me that he really does care, and he really does know what's going on in my head. Even if I don't always talk to him about it. God is good :)

My husband has this weekend off, I am looking forward to hanging out with the man. However, it seem's like every weekend he has off, is always filled with us having to do something. I have a meeting in the morning, by the time I get home it will be time to go to a birthday party for one of my small sister in laws. By the time we are home from that, it will be time to start thinking of dinner and baths. There goes Saturday. Sunday Adam has to be at the church early, and we dont get out of church until sometimes 1pm. Just in time for lunch, naps, dinner, a little play time and bed. There goes Sunday. One weekend...we will be able to hang out and do nothing but watch movies, go on walks, to the park, a bike ride, ice cream, napping...things we use to be able to do.

And now, I'm off to sleep so that I can wake up for that meeting. Weekend...here we go.



7 comments:

  1. Your sweet friend actually posted your menu yesterday on facebook when I asked about it and it looked pretty good!!! I am amazed at what she does. Though I cook for 7 people everynight she seemed to have a good handle on it. I'd love to get my bill in that area though I don't know if that's possible!

    Yay for the mattresses-wonderful news!

    I hope you have a great weekend and find some time to just chill :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...I know I spend way too much at the grocery store...I have no plans and am such an impulse shopper. I really would love to sit down with someone who knows what they're doing and get it right! THat's awesome! I am not a good meal planner/cook.

    So great about the beds/mattresses, such a blessing! Enjoy your weekend...busy and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could use someone that could tell me how to budget better when it comes to groceries! That is awesome...saving money is always nice! Good for you, finding the girl's mattresses! Some times things just work out! :)

    Enjoy your busy weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We feed a family of 9 (every meal because we live and work from home & homeschool). So our budget is pretty tight, and there are tons of tips to get you through! Our grocery bill is usually less than $200/wk. Good Luck! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I'm always stressed too, about bills and trying to always do the right thing ..I admire people who can do a budget and stick with it! But things come up!

    You have a great weekend friend with your Man :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to get my grocery bill that low! Maybe you can share your menu plan with us;)

    That is great about the mattresses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't cook every night. I have a "Whatever wednesday" where we eat Whatever (within reason, the toddler can't have cookies for dinner) but basically just leftovers. And Saturdays are usually leftover days. If you can work up the energy, when you cube and cook chicken, cook extra and freeze it so you don't have to cook it next time you need it. Same with ground beef, and veggies. :) I'm still figuring out the best way to organize meal plans. I was doing great, then we had a baby...so 4 months later I'm trying to re-organize myself! ha ha

    ReplyDelete