Foster Kid.
Why is there such a stigma attached to the name?
What do you refer to a foster child as?
For instance...
our foster child's room and things, we say "the foster room" or "for the foster children".
It feels weird, I don't really like saying it.
It's so
set apart.
Like, once they come into the system, they are no longer regular children. They are "foster children".
During our training, we talked about making the children feel as included as possible.
For instance, if you are going on vacation (especially if you have other children) don't leave the foster child in respite care and take everyone else.
Or when someone ask's you about your children (especially in public & around them) don't say "Well this is big sister, middle sister, little sister, and our foster kid pedro".
So I have been practicing lately by trying not to use foster, and just call them what they are...children.
I'll be interested in hearing what others say too! We are in Australia and are going through the accreditation process to become Foster Carers and this is one of the many 'situations' that has crossed my mind.
ReplyDeleteLove reading your blog by the way :)
Bec
I have a really hard time with that too! I think because we are white and Boogie is black, we feel the need to say "foster son" so that we can automatically ward off the puzzled looks and uncomfortable questions/remarks about the obvious "non-bio" difference. I think that introducing him is the only time it really comes up though.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I normally don't refer to Boogie as my foster-son. You are right in not segregating the child with the labels. When introducing you should segregate yourself if needed: "This is Boogie. I am his foster-mom." Then it's about you, not the child.
{I followed you back from my blog. Thank you for following because I am really enjoying your blog! So excited for you!}