Wednesday, July 14, 2010

She's Here!

Tuesday morning, July 13th at 11:32 am, we welcomed our beautiful baby girl into this world!


Ava Chandler


6lbs. 14oz and 18 1/2 inches long. She is tiny, healthy, and beautiful! We are so blessed by her, and I can't help but feel really proud that she is ours!

So now, for the much awaited birth story (which nobody will probably read all the way through, except me, a million times :)

Monday morning I head to the hospital for my "regular" weekly ultrasound & monitoring. My bp was up again, and my fluids we're up (which is good). But, Ava was asleep during the ultrasound so she didn't pass the "movements" test, and then my doctor recieved my labs from my previous visit and told me I had Preeclampsia. Since I was 37 weeks (to the day!), doc said it was safest to deliver now, rather than wait, because pre-e only gets worse. So...Monday night we started!

I started to really feel contractions at about 6am Tuesday and requested my epideral a little after 7am. By the time the anesthesiologist arrived, it was pretty bad! He tried to get that epideral in not once...not twice...but THREE times! It was awful, really awful. Then, 20 minutes after he leaves...I still have no pain relief. So he comes back & changes the dose, and I get to rest for about 30 minutes before I start feeling more contractions. And more...and more...and more...I was trying hard to stay calm, and my calm turned into just sobbing and trying to breathe! He came back & tried to change the dose again...nothing. Can I just say, at this point, I have never felt any pain like this before. I can't even explain to you how awful it was, at one point, I felt like I was just going to throw up (then die). By the time I screamed for the epideral guy to come back, it was too late! Time to have the baby! I am laughing now, I'm pretty sure my words were "I can't!" "I'm going to die" "Oh my God" "Oh my God" "Why would any woman WANT to feel this?" "I'm NOT waiting on my doctor!" and more I cant's and I'm going to dies. I did not wait for my doctor, but a sweet midwife delivered her since she was there. It was her first delivery in this town :)

I didn't die (somehow...) and I did push that baby out & I did feel it all! (and no, I would not choose to do it that way again!). When she was here, I almost couldn't believe that I did it! It helped a ton that I had the best nurse (& friend!) that a patient could ask for! I was really blessed to have my good friend as my nurse the entire time! And my mom, who was there giving me massages and foot rubs and anything I needed, and then my dear husband, who slept until I was ready to push :)

We only stayed 24 hours in the hospital, and I really enjoyed the night with just me and my baby. We are now home, her older sisters are thrilled over her! Nursing is going great- and I will post more pictures once I rest up more :)

Thank you Lord for our healthy baby, the safe delivery, the amazing people that helped bring her into the world, and for your continued blessings amoung our family!

13 comments:

  1. I read it all. Great going Mama! I had to deliver Brie with no pain meds and don't understand why anyone would want to either... She is beautiful!!! Hope to see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! What a beautiful girly you have. Love the headband. Woo hoo for nursing too. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so cute! Congrats again! I can't believe your epidural wouldn't work. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I can't imagine the pain and feeling everything. I was able to get an epidural and I still felt some stuff.

    Good job mom! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! She is finally here! What a beautiful little girl. I completely love her name. Very cute.
    Congrats on making it through the delivery as well! I had issues with my epidural with my 1st but they did end up getting it to work just in the nick of time! Rest up and enjoy that little bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read it all and loved it!!!!!! Nothing better than birth stories :)

    I can not believe you did it with no meds! My last epidural with Allie only numbed one side of my body and they had to come back and redo it for the other side - I was numb forever after that!!!!

    She's just sooo precious! Can't wait to watch her grow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha - so you had a midwife after all. Thats funny! Is she new to Beaufort? Id like to meet her. Glad everything went well and Ava is PERFECT! i promised you free maternity photos but you never got any so if you want any done of Ava and the girls Id be happy to do some. Ill be home the 23-25th of this month. Enjoy having three!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad I was able to be a part of your beautiful birthing day! Ava is perfect and I love her! I love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful! Love her name. I have an Ava too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm just now catching up on my blogs for obvious reasons :) I'm sure you can understand! Congratulations on the birth of your beautiful baby!! I haven't gotten around to typing out my birth story, but let's just say, I felt baby come out too and it was NOT fun! So worth it though, right?? :)

    ReplyDelete