"Do you like being a Christian?"
I really thought it was an odd question to be asked.
So I replied with a yes {of course}, and then pondered on it more a little later.
Some people have such a wrong vision of what/who real Christian's are, or what it mean's to be a Christian. I know many people who expect me to be perfect because I'm Christian, and when they find out that I am not perfect & I screw up & sin...I'm then a "fake" Christian, or a "bad Christian", or "Some Christian". This part bother's me the most about actually being one. It's hard to know how to be when I'm around the people who think like this (& sadly, some of them are family members who I have daily contact with). I feel like I have to be really uptight, really pay attention to what I say, or how I say something, or even my facial expressions, in fear that if I do the "wrong thing" in front of them, it would be giving Christian's a bad name {& get criticized for it}, and I hate it. I hate all of the "stereotypes" that come along with the "name".
I hate it when people claim that it's not hard. I heard a girl's testimony a few months ago, and at the end, she started talking about how "easy" it is to be a Christian. I wanted to throw up {not just because I know that the same girl has cried over how hard it was to leave her old life and her old friends and start "new" or anything}, but because it's not easy. Even God said that it will be hard, and if God knows it's hard...dear...it's not easy. There are many times that I wish I could do thing's that I can't, say thing's I shouldn't, or when I screw up & someone tells me I'm not a Christian, OH how I'd love to punch them in face! It's hard for me to apologize when I'm wrong, sometimes it's even really hard for me to something as simple as telling the truth...but I have to, and I do. There are so many temptations in this world, so many things trying to just suck us away from God. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.
I could go on about things that I don't like or do like, things that are right or wrong, good things or bad things etc. but in the end, and back to the original question, it's not a matter of like. To serve an almighty God is very rewarding and the promises to come are more than I can ever imagine. The hope & peace it give's me, is worth it. Whether I like it all the time, or not.
Whenever I think of Christianity, and what it really means, I always think of the poem "When I say, I'm a Christian" (& I wish I could memorize the entire thing, Or have a copy of it at all times, for the times when someone is doubtful of me-because I am not claiming to be anything near perfect).
When I say..." I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I am saved"
I'm whispering "I get lost"
"That is why I chose this way"
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need someone to be my guide
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak
and pray for strength to carry on
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting I have failed
and cannot ever pay the debt
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
my flaws are all too visible
but God believes I'm worth it
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartaches
which is why I seek His name
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I do not wish to judge
I have no authority
I only know I'm loved.
I'm not shouting "I am saved"
I'm whispering "I get lost"
"That is why I chose this way"
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I don't speak of this with pride
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need someone to be my guide
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not trying to be strong
I'm professing that I'm weak
and pray for strength to carry on
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not bragging of success
I'm admitting I have failed
and cannot ever pay the debt
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I'm not claiming to be perfect,
my flaws are all too visible
but God believes I'm worth it
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I still feel the sting of pain
I have my share of heartaches
which is why I seek His name
When I say..."I am a Christian"
I do not wish to judge
I have no authority
I only know I'm loved.
I felt God wanted me to ask you that question...and I thought maybe he wanted you to think and blog about it. Thanks for the thoughts...I agree 100%
ReplyDeleteLove this! Although I do believe our lives are much better with God in them-we are definitely not perfect!
ReplyDelete