Until I was 19 (got married) I always had military health insurance. Had both babies with it, had it all my life. I never had to worry about co-pays, something being approved or denied, prescription coverage, global fees or anything...ever.
Now, we have one of the leading health care coverage plans through my husbands job. For a family of 4, we pay $300 a month just to have insurance....and then co-pays, prescription co-pays etc. They are not terribly huge for things like well check ups and physicals, but let me just say...I pay a little under $100 every time I see my OB. That's once a month, and starting THIS month, I see her twice a month....boom, $200 bucks a month now. Tag it to the $300 we pay...that's $500 a month, just for ME to be seen. Yes, I will be happy when this little girl is out! :)
OK, what's your point? I don't have a "point", It just makes me very angry when I see military dependents complaining about a "long wait at the pharmacy" or "not really liking the doctors" , getting medicaid and not using their benefits AT ALL because they don't want to go to the military hospital. Are you kidding me? PLEASE...PLEASE...PLEASE take my $500 a month insurance bill and treat yourself to "public" health care. I will take your health care, your FREE health care....in a SPLIT SECOND! Yes, I've heard some say "we pay for that every month" because their spouses work long hours or have duty & are or could be deployed. I still don't feel sorry for you. For one, my husband works just as many (if not more) hours than a D.I and for two, that's the life you guy's chose. How about since your spouse is working so hard FOR those benefits, USE THEM OR STOP COMPLAINING about how "awful" you have it while standing in a 10 minute pharmacy line. My offer still stands...take my bill!
OK, next thing. WIC, Medicaid. We are blessed to not qualify for WIC, Medicaid, or any of that...{yes, even as a family of 5}. But sometimes I wonder if that is also a curse. Let's say a person at Dominoes makes $8 an hour(this is a random scenario, random numbers and jobs). Has 1 kid, making this person eligible for WIC, and Medicaid. Keeping all the money they make(besides taxes) and then they get free health care, help with groceries, they could get food stamps, section 8? ABC daycare voucher? Knocking out some BIG expenses! Then a person with the same amount of kids, making $16 with one kid, does not qualify. (again, random #'s)
You take the $2560 the second person makes a month...
Minus taxes. -$560 (on all money he made that month...guessing?)
Minus health insurance(that person a does not pay for)- $-200 a month (smaller family)
Minus groceries for a month(that person a does not pay for)- $350
Minus housing cost(that person a does not pay for)- $850-$1,000 a month (around here...)
Minus daycare for one child (that person a does not pay for)- $500 a month
All of a sudden, the person who "should" be better off than the person making $8 an hour is actually doing much worse...because B has to actually PAY for things, and A gets a BIG help from...me! you? Person B!
Of course all my numbers with money and children may not line up with the actual Govt guidelines, but you get what I'm saying.
What brought on THAT? A family member who is trying to get all this government help while her & her boyfriend are working, just because they don't make "enough". It almost seems like it's EASIER to be poor and be eligible for these things than it is to have money and not get any help!
Ugh! Ok, I'm glad I got that off my back :) I am blessed and very thankful for the money we have...but sometimes when at the grocery store purchasing our groceries and seeing a lady next to me getting cartfuls of free groceries...I do think to myself..."well, that must be nice".
Agree wholeheartedly! Been there, am there. lol
ReplyDeleteThere is a book that I had to read as a teacher that talks about the system of poverty and how the poor don't want to break that cycle. Life is too easy. If you want, I can find it and you can read it. lol
How did your yard sale go?
I AGREE!
ReplyDeletewith everything!!!!!
I know exactly what you mean. I feel like every single time I meet my deductible the damn year ends and it all starts over again. NOT COOL! Insurance is such a rip off but we have to have it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the whole WIC thing. I know people who qualify for WIC and they always have money to go out and have fun all the time. We don't qualify for WIC (I think we need to have like 8 or 9 kids to qualify!) and we're always broke. Hate it!
ReplyDeleteShay,
ReplyDeleteI love our Military insurance. I have never complained about it and appreciate that I can take my kids to the hospital and doctor without having to worry about the cost of being there.
However, there is a great cost. By having Tricare we don't have co-pays and deductibles to meet but we do pay a price. Our Husbands and wives being taken away from us to serve our country.
Bill will tell you that I have had to raise the kids mostly by myself not to mention the countless other things I have had to endure alone.
If it wasn't for God walking with me I know my marriage would have never endured all that we have been asked of and would have ended years ago.
Yes we have great medical coverage but we are paying a cost for it.. Sometimes we just need another perspective about the things around us to give us a better understanding and appreciation for we have and don't have.
There is always a cost, though it doesn't always have to do with money.
Love you! :o)