Well, not yet at least. I did however get a phone call from my (auto) insurance company saying that I will be receiving "suit" (I think I'm spelling that wrong) papers from a car wreck I was in last July. Apparently, they want more money then my policy covers, and they are going to try and get it from me. One of the letter's I already have say's that if they win basically, our home(if we owned), cars, bank account, personal assets and wages can be garnished. It sounds pretty scary, and I guess it can be if it really happens. The lady I ran in to had 12k in medical bills from it, as well as a month out of work. Take note, this was not all caused by me. It was a 6 car pile up, she ran into someone, I ran into her. Her injuries are from both hitting a car and me hitting her. When I do get the official papers, I'm suppose to call my insurance company & they are going to tell me what to do. I don't think it's fair that you can just sue anyone, especially when it's obvious that it's out of greed (she want's more than $50,000).
Someone told me this today "We can not be sure of what God's will is in any situation". That is the best thing I've been told about this so far. Everyone else is telling me not to worry and that it will work out. My thing is, followers of God do successfully get sued. Just because I love God & I'm (trying really hard to) trust him, does not make me immune from awful thing's happening. It would be unrealistic for me to put it in the back of my mind and assume that nothing is going to happen just because I love God.
I do agree that I need to wait and see what the insurance company tells me after I get the real papers and stuff before I worry about anything. But it's really hard, because this year was starting to look like a great year for us. If everything goes as planned & continues to work out like it has been, we are going to be debt free by the end of summer. That is a huge deal. HUGE. A huge step for our future, our family & our well being. But for some reason, I feel as if those plans have already taken a crash after today. Sure, we may be debt free, but then after our court date if we end up having to pay these people, we will most likely owe them money for the majority of our lifetime. We are suppose to be going on vacation April 1st. Should we still go, or are we going to have to cancel and use the money for court fees and an attorney to represent us? Even if we go to court, and nothing happens to us, it's just another thing in our way. Another expense, another stress, another thing to think about.
Okay, now, odds are the other party will not win the case. We are a middle class family, 2 kids, one on the way. I don't work, we don't have a huge stash of money anywhere, we don't own anything except our cars (that are not worth much at all) and our furniture. My husband does not make six figures, he's just a blue collar worker (very hardworking). I can't imagine a judge being so cold hearted and making us pay someone thousands and thousands of dollars (on top of the 50k they are already getting from insurance) for a tiny wreck last year, in which no tickets we're issued. It almost seems insane that someone would be able to even try to sue someone who doesn't "have anything". So, I am sure that it will be fine, but you never know for sure what kind of judge it will be, and what God's will is in this.
Shay - please take this post off your blog immediately. It could possibly by used by the lawyer of the woman suing you. I hope everything works out for the best.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear about your troubles. I hope it works out in the end.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh sweetie!
ReplyDeleteI hate insurance...I hate all the legal crap..there seems to always be loopholes for the other person, but me.
I do everything proper and legal and I seem to get scre*** still.
I sure hope eveything works out for you sweetie! xoxoox
Sorry things like this happen. I will pray that it works out for you!
ReplyDelete