Monday, December 7, 2009

Four Christmases

During service yesterday they played a clip from the movie Four Christmases, with my favorite man ever...Vince Vaughn. (I know right...they couldn't have picked a more inappropriate movie to pick a clip from to play in church...lets not go there). Ok, so I saw Vince Vaughn and told Adam that I wanted to see the movie! Last night he got the movie and we watched it.
We loved it! Well, we love these kinds of movies. If you are careful about the movies you watch, you may want to look at the Christian Review thingy first. I laughed my butt of, it was great. And it embedded something in me that has been on my mind all night and morning. At one point, there was a serious moment in the movie when the father of the family was praying and said "Nothing is more important than family".
Of course I've heard this plenty of times before. Why did it stick with me this time?
So after the movie, as I'm tossing and turning sleeping on the couch (long story) I thought about it. In the movie, both of their families were all messed up. They were all weird. All divorced, all had issues and most of them were just plain crazy. Which is why Vince and Reese avoided spending holidays with them, they didn't want to deal with their crazy families.
Well it turned out that they had to this year. And when Reese's dad was saying the prayer...the camera kind of glared over each crazy messed up family member and when he said that nothing is more important then family...I kind of loved that crazy family and realized how true those words are. No matter how messed up your family is, (& mine really is...trust me) you cant just forget them or try to replace them. GOD gave them to you for a reason.
I am noticing more and more how many "fake" family members people I know have. Fake aunts, uncles...fake cousins, fake mothers, even fake grandparents. You can't just delete the family members from your life that you dont agree with and replace them with someone you think plays the part better.

Phew. That's what I got out of the movie. =-) Its a good one.






2 comments:

  1. oooh...now I really want to see this movie! It sounds like it is right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete