Monday, September 14, 2009

Proverbs 31

If ONLY I had as much energy, devotion, and drive as the lady in Proverbs 31. If ANYONE can really live up to that-they ARE super mom!
I remember the first time reading through Proverbs 31, it inspired me and the next morning I DID wake up before the sun to make my family breakfast! Even the next morning, and the next! But, not the next. I got worn out and tired, I couldn't get out of bed that fourth morning to save my life.
I didn't feel awful about it, but I did try to make up for it by getting the house extra clean that day, making a great dinner and making sure all of my husband's uniform's were ready to go.
Being a child of God, a wife, and a mom is HARD work! I realized that I would put myself into overload if I tried to do everything that the proverbs 31 woman does. But, that is okay...God still loves me and he only expects me to do my best!
After looking at the laundry on my table, the floors that need to be swept and vacuumed and my bed that I havnt made in over a year (I hang out in my bed lots! So what's the point? It will get messed up in an hour!)it made me think about a part in the book "The Power of A Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd. In the last chapter, she say's this:

"Dear Lord, so far today I am doing pretty well. I haven't screamed at the kids or thrown anything in a burst of anger. I have not grumbled or gossiped or whined. I haven't been greedy or self-centered. I have not yet charged anything to the credit card, and I haven't pigged out on the chocolate cake in the refrigerator. However, in a few minutes I will be getting out of bed, and I am going to need your help to make it through the rest of the day. Amen."

I am going to print this and hang it smack dab in the middle of my refrigerator! I NEED God's help to get me through EVERY SINGLE MINUTE of my day! I need to remember to say that to God myself before getting out of bed, "Lord, I am going to be getting out of bed in a few minutes, and I am going to need YOUR help to make it through the rest of the day!" It makes me want to go vacuum my floors and pray! The best thing is, of course, God WILL help us through the day if we ask!

I know, this is common sense, but I feel like I just discovered something new. =-)

3 comments:

  1. It is a lesson well learned...we all need him for every minute of our day....without him...we are nothing. If you have learned that from your experience with Proverbs 31, a real truth has saturated you. Great post...full of truthful realization.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Remember, the writer says in verse 10, "Who Can Find Virtuous Woman?" I have read 31 so many times and read right over that verse... Funny how we don't see some things. Then one day it was brought to my attention and I was able to back off, relax, and begin to "enjoy" the journey of becoming a Proverbs 31 woman.. PTL God knows we can't be her all the time!

    p.s. love the quote from Karol Ladd..

    Keep posting Shay!

    ReplyDelete