Sunday, November 14, 2010

This year for Christmas:

Mr. & I are joining the Conspiracy.
Instead of spending a ton of money on gifts for our children, who do not need a thing- we are going to give to those who do need.

Are we getting rid of present's all together? No. Our children will get three gifts each (of "decent" prices), and they will also get gifts from their Grandparents/family.

What about friends/family? There are gift's that we can make for friends/family that are just as good (or even better!) than gift cards for more stuff. I found lots of our ideas from here.

What about us? Don't we want gifts? No & Yes. The only thing I was considering buying myself for Christmas was just given to me by a dear friend (huge blessing!). Mr. and I don't need anything. If I was asked to make a Christmas list, I wouldn't know where to begin. Our parents and grandparents give us gifts, so we are looking forward to opening those.

Why do things different? Because the amount of money american's spend on Christmas is sickening. Because we have greatly lost focus on what Christmas is really about. Because we are (all thanks to God) not in need. Because we don't want our children getting into the "presents" mind set, we want to teach them what Christmas is really about- Christ. Present's are just something small that we do because we love each other and we want to give them something. Because I can not spend hundred's of dollars on black Friday, without thinking of the millions of people and children in the world who don't even have a pair of shoes or a blanket.
Because we got a letter from our sponsored child Bernardo talking about Christmas, and not once did he mention presents. Fact is, he may not even get a gift, and if he does, it would be something like jacks, or a soccer ball. Fact is, he will be happy with or without presents. He doesn't know if he is getting just one gift Christmas morning...and he is excited regardless. Which is how it should be.
And because we are suppose to use what God has given us, for him. For the least of these. I can't imagine buying my 10 year old a cell phone, my 15 year old a laptop, my 3 year old a power wheels...and God looking down on me smiling, while I'm handing out the hundreds to a store. Nope, I can't imagine a smile at all. I can imagine a tear, maybe. Especially when there may be a family one block down the road who don't even have the money for Christmas dinner. Or a family in Africa, who have nothing to eat. A family in South America, who's kids are playing with a ball made of dirt and leaves. Knowing this...How can I justify the spending? I can't. I can barely justify buying my children three small gifts.


We are actually pretty excited about it. About taking the time to make our loved one's gift's. About being able to give/help a family who is truly in need. About starting this while our children are young. About using what he has given us, a little or a lot, to make much of God.

I challenge your family to join the conspiracy.

Worship More.
Spend Less.
Give More.
Love all.






4 comments:

  1. Like! Like! Like! This is almost exactly what we decided to do last year and it was wonderful! I also wholeheartedly recommend getting the book "What God Wants for Christmas." We have had wonderful devotions around the interactive nativity. http://www.amazon.com/What-Wants-Christmas-FamilyLife-Publishing/dp/1572299312

    Praying God will bless your Christmas, and thanks for the link to the ideas...totally going to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are buying less this year and a lot of it was our kids idea. We are getting them one gift and their stockings. They went through the world vision catalog and decided to get goats and Bibles for other kids. They were so proud that they were helping others. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree, we are (and always do) our Christmas' very similar. It makes me feel so much better knowing we are teaching our kids the true meaning and that excess is not the way to go, it's WAY better (and more rewarding) to give to those who have big needs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love this idea... Totally agree! I am looking foward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete