Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grandma



My Grandma always makes me appreciate life a little more.

My mom's mom, came into town this week and we went to visit with her today. Like I've said before, I love how older people adore children, especially babies. Needless to say, she loved little sister{who wouldnt!}

my grandma and little sister 2010

She began telling me "tricks" to use to have a boy-that were outrageous & made me laugh. I showed her our cloth diapers and she began telling me about their diapers back in the day. How she washed them, what kind of covers they had, talked about sunning them and all. Of course she thought the cloth diapers we have these days are just amazing{ & they kinda are :) }.

We talked about nursing & how she tried to nurse each one of her ten children as long as she could. She went on and on about how great God is for making such amazing little people-I love it when people look at my children & praise God {or any child at that!}


It made me realize that I need to visit her more often, I miss this little ol' Grandma of mine.I remember when she lived with us (on many occasions). In elementry school she would pack our lunches every morning & pick us up from school. Her bedroom would always smell like vitamins and medicine, and there were crosses and pictures of Jesus/MARY/Saints all over the place.


One time while she was watching us I got in trouble for something (I dont remember what) and she made me kneel on her floor with my nose touching the wall and say the rosary. Well, I guess I mouthed off to her and she got so mad she slapped me in the mouth and knocked a tooth out! My mom said it was a loose tooth already-but I dont remember it being loose! I do remember her feeling really bad & crying.


Then the last time she lived with us was when I was 15/16. She would always tell such long stories, I mean...LONG. If she got to talking to ya, you wernt leaving for a good 30-45 minutes. So it became a "thing" in our house to get her to talk to someone. For instance, I'm in the kitchen and she is talking away...and my brother walks in. I interupt at a good time, and say "hey grandma, tell sam what you were just talking about". HAHAHAHA, sucker! Of course he couldnt say no, and so my Grandma would turn her attention to him for the next 30 minutes and I got out of it. The best part was being in the other room, looking at them talking and laughing while my brother would be giving us the "im gonna kill you" look. Everyone in the family participated in this.


I remember visiting her in her assisted living home when Big Sister was just a week or so old. All of the old ladies in there were so happy to see a baby, it made me cry. They loved holding her, how could you deny an old lady of holding a child? Especially when they talk about how long it's been, and when you think about the fact that this may be the last little baby she ever holds or sees. When I'm old and to that point, I pray someone let's me hold their baby if for some awful reason my own grandchildren were not around. I remember my Grandma being so proud and showing her off.




me, big sister, my mom, my grandma. 2007

We can't wait to see you again soon, Grandma!







1 comment:

  1. Love the pic of all of the generations together :) Makes me miss my GG too......visited her last year, but miss her :)

    ReplyDelete