-Tomorrow my mom is coming over to watch the girls so I can get my eyebrows waxed (finally) and shop a little, without two kids whining for everything they see. I'm rather excited! I'm going to try to find something to wear for my baby shower Saturday :)
-I can't believe that in a little over (or under!) a month, we will have a newborn in our house again. Even though middle sister is just two, the feeling & routine of having a small baby slips away fast. Sometimes I have to sit down & make myself remember when my girls we're teeny tiny.
There are many chaotic nights that we have, when Mr. and I look at each other & one of us will say "where would the baby be if she was here right now?" or "what would the baby be doing while all of this is going on?" or even "how am I going to have time to sit down and feed the baby?" when my kiddos wont let me sit down long enough to put one bite of food in my mouth sometimes, much less anyone elses. There are times of doubt, when we wonder what we were thinking when we decided to try for a third child, and there are times of peace, when I can rest knowing that God has this, this little girl is going to fit in just fine.
-A friend of mine let me borrow her copy of the book "From Ashes to Africa", a book about a couples journey through infertility and adopting from Ethiopia.
It took me a long time to really get into the book, I wanted to skip all the parts about their marriage, infertility, church etc and get to the chapters about Africa & adoption. After I got to that part, I didn't put the book down.
The part that stuck with me the most was "Denim Boy". As a matter of fact, I have not stopped thinking about him since I read about it.
When the couple went to visit the orphanage that their son was in, the dad kept watching this little boy who was dressed all in denim. He found out that the boy was 11 (or somewhere around there) and was the top student in all of his classes and wanted to be a doctor someday. Both of his parents died, and he had been living with his grandma. However, when he found out that the kids at the orphanage got to eat three meals a day (compared to his one...) and that a family would adopt him and bring him to america, he asked his grandmother to "sign him over" or give him up for adoption, whichever.
The day that the couple was there, was the day that the denim boys friend's new family was picking him up, and when his friend left for home, denim boy chased the car down until it was too far away.
Of course, the way the couple wrote it was way better than my version, but you get the point.
For some reason, after reading that, it came to me that these kids WANT a family...they want a home...they want to come to America! They are willing to leave the only family they have, and live in an orphanage so that they can eat three meals a day! So that they have hope of having a real family in a different country! They are really WAITING for US. Waiting for someone to say "I love you, I want you to be my child! I want to feed you three (great) meals a day! I want you to have an education! I want you to prosper, to know the lord, to have a chance at your dreams, to have a family, to know what love is!"
Ok, DUH me, right? No. I never thought about the children really waiting, or really knowing what they were waiting on. In my head were these little babies who didn't know any better, just being taken care of until someone adopts them. Never did I really realize and think about the older children who know.
One day.
I think about what the kids think too ... It really helped when we finally saw the picture of Big Brother hearing about us and opening the welcome bag we prepared for him. He was holding our family's photos, and wearing the shirt ... and smiling HUGE! That made my heart happy.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to stop by and say Hi.
ReplyDeleteI love your new blog look.
Very nice!
Okay-now I wanna really read this book! :)
I want to read this book, sounds great!
ReplyDelete