Tuesday, April 20, 2010

16 & Pregnant

Has really turned out to be my absolute favorite show, ever.
Teen mom's hold a special place in my heart, because I was one! I got pregnant at 17, found out about two weeks before I started my senior year of high school.
I think everything was kind of different for me, everything really did turn out great.
I was able to finish school & get my diploma on time, my parents as well as his parents we're very supportive, my "baby daddy" {who is now my husband!} was very supportive...we didn't fight, I never had to worry about him leaving, and we had {and still do have} a great relationship. I was truly blessed, it almost seems to good to be true.
I never had a desire to go to a four year college, I always just knew I was going to get married and be a mom. {I just did it a little backwards}
We had our baby girl, got engaged, had our second baby girl. I was able to be a full time stay at home mom at 19 years old {and I still am}. We had a big wedding, found God, changed our lives even more for the better, and now we are about to have our third little girl!
Everything would have been different if Adam was not such a great man, God really did have his hand on us.

Watching this show pulls me in two ways. It break's my heart when the girl's do not have supportive families. It breaks my heart when the girl's are forced to give their babies up. It breaks my heart when the guy turns out to be a jerk and leaves the girl.
It also annoys me when the girls nag and whine and complain and fight with their boyfriends about everything! It annoys me when they leave their babies to party all the time and someone else is raising them. It annoys me when they don't appreciate the help that they do get, and it makes me sad to see some of the girls on here that should have given up their baby for adoption.
I know, thats a bold thing to say. I am not a huge "give your baby up for adoption" just because your young supporter...at all. But on this show I saw a little 14 year old girl have a baby. A girl who still rode the school bus to school. A freshman in high school. She was very immature, very whiney, and I just pray that she turns out to be a better mom than she seemed to be on the show. There was a girl who could not stop partying and left her little boy with her mom so much, that she ended up asking her mom to raise him for her. Her mom who worked 40 hours a week, her mom who is older, who is tired, who did it {of course!) because it's her grandson, but also told her daughter that it was wrong that she did not try to find a family for that baby boy. That episode made me cry my eyes out!
But I also saw girl's who were great moms! There was about 4 girls who really stood out to me, four girls who stepped up and loved their little babies and loved being a mom, of course those girls made me smile! :)

It's really really hard for me to tell girls..."no, don't get pregnant at 16!" and if I were on that show now, and I had to do the interview at the end about the experience..I would say it's the best thing that has ever happened to me. That of course there are hard times, but nothing in life that is worth it, is ever easy!
However, I also can't go around saying "yes! be a teen mom!"...because it doesn't always work out this good for everyone. So, I'm really not sure where I stand on that...except for being thankful for my teen mom experience and thanking God for the way he has worked things out for me, my husband, and our soon to be three baby girls.





2 comments:

  1. I love your new blog makeover! Beautiful! Also, love this post and can relate. I got pregnant at 20 (not a teenager) by a guy that didn't love me....I thought it was the end of my world at the time, but looking back it made me look at life and how it needed to be different. God brought a beautiful man into my life...I wish I could tell you I found God during this time but I was one of those kids that grew up churched and would have told you at that time that I knew God (I knew of Him, that is about the extent), didn't find God until that baby was 14 years old and at the height of her own rebellion....but I can say without flinching that God truly does work all things together for the good of those that love Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay,

    I think God wants to use your experience...Honestly...

    ReplyDelete