Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Great Day To Be Alive

Does anyone remember that song by Travis Tritt? I remember when I was in about 5th grade and that song had just came out. My entire family would all sing it really loud in the car together. Funny thing is, I never knew what a fu manchu was until like, 4 years ago. =-)

Today was a good day. This morning, I slept until 10. How do I do that? No idea, I kind of feel bad. I'm use to my girl's waking me up, I normally hear them every morning when they wake up, and it wakes me up. But today, they just stayed in their rooms and played, quiet enough for me not to hear them. They were very cheery and funny this morning too. I let Riley skip her nap again today. What am I thinking? It wasn't bad, the rule was that she had to lay on the couch with her blanky and watch the rest of her Dora movie, or go into her room and read. Either way, she had to have quiet time. She did really good!

We headed out to my parent's house this afternoon for dinner. I swear, my mom made about 70 enchiladas. She had 5 HUGE baking pans completely full. I had to run to the store twice for her because she kept running out of cheese, and the neighbor made the third trip! Going "home" always makes me miss the town. Even though, you can barely call it a town. There is maybe 500 people, one blinking light, 3 sets of railroad tracks, 2 gas stations, 1 bar, and oddly enough they have a dollar general, family dollar, and a Chinese restaurant. Oh and a bunch of churches. It is definitely a segregated town, still. If you are white, you live on one side of the tracks and stay on that side of the tracks. If you are black you live on the other side, and only cross to come to the gas station. I couldn't believe how obvious of a "rule" that was when my family moved there. I didn't know there were towns still like that.

Anyway, it is a town where you know everyone (literally). We have a swimmin hole, and you can hunt in your front yard. Driving in the road on a golf cart is okay. Having your kid sit on your lap while you drive your vehicle around town is okay. Bringing your open beer with you in the car from one house to another is okay(not LEGAL, but everyone does it and the cops don't care). Pick up trucks are the vehicles of choice, and hunting camo never ever goes out of style. We are "famous" for Harold's Country Club (awesome steaks and a great Friday night!) and the Annual Shrimp Festival. EVERYONE is in everyone's business, and there really is a loud mouth of the town!
OH how I kind of miss it. Except the 40 minute drive into town. THAT, I don't miss at all.

So, I normally really enjoy going home & loading the family up in the bed of my dad's truck, driving around town and letting the girls run around in the huge back yard while my brother is out front shooting squirrels. I guess you have to live there to understand =-) It's simple. It's funny how redneck my family has become in the past 5 years that they've lived there! I kinda like it.
I know, I got way off topic.
My aunt was there today, it was good to see her. The neighbors came over, and when they are there, its a fun time. We sat around, fed ourselves, laughed, let the kiddos play, made thanksgiving plans, and laughed more. I got to hang out with my sister, and I have to say...It's good to have her back.
Today, I really am Thankful for family.
It was also a chilly day, so we got to bundle up for the first time this "fall" or "winter"...whatever it's suppose to be. I took advantage of that and took some pictures.
Enjoy =-)

















9 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics .... I miss my little girls being little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's always nice to have new visitors :) Your trip home to your mom's house sounds like it was a lot of fun. My parents both come from very small towns as well so some of what you were describing sounds very familiar. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really warmed my heart. I am really happy to hear about you enjoying your time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started singing that song in my head as soon as I read the title.

    I kind of live in a town like that. Our population is about 4,000 but it sounds like there is a lot in common. The trucks, cammo, and hunting is very common here.

    Thanks for the follow btw. Can't wait to get to know you better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful family you have and I love your cherrios theme!! cool stuff! I also have a devotion for moms on my other blog if you wanna check it out. click on my profile and you see its merciful moms. :)

    high five sister!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Family is the absolute best. I'm glad your having such good times with yours. Your girls are just precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures and it sounds like an awesome time. I come from a town kind of like that and I loved it too...glad I'm gone but it was fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shay...I love the picture of the girls holding hands. So sweet!!

    ReplyDelete