Sunday, November 29, 2009

Fakers.

I was talking with a friend recently about how sometimes I feel so fake as Christian. Not about my relationship with God, but about relationships with people.
For instance, nobody seems to want to confront anyone. If someone says something about you, or is doing something...nobody tells them. It's like everyone is scared or something. They bite there tongue and smile. I feel FORCED to LIKE people. Yes, I know I have to LOVE them...but why do I feel this pressure to have to LIKE them. To HAVE to put on a fake smile and act like there best friend?????? Why do people tell me about so and so and then I ask them if they've talked to that person about it..and they say no..im just letting God deal with it. Im a bit confused...can we be a little realistic.....If I have an issue with someone...YES I AM GOING TO PRAY ABOUT IT...I'm also going to be REAL and walk my butt up to them and tell them what's wrong. It's not fair to THEM for you to be fake either!
So this is how im thinking.
Until I Came across this article:


Why Are So Many Christians Fake?

Christians start out pretty much like everyone else. We're sometimes nice, at other times surly. We're often selfish, angry, and egotistical...sometimes kind and generous. The good news is that somewhere along the way God begins the process of transforming us so that we're more like Jesus. Considering the kind of person Jesus was, that sounds great...but the bad news is that until God gets well into the transformation process a person is often remarkably similar to what he was before he became a Christian. That's often not so great.

So: what do we do in the meantime? Well, fortunately for us, God gave us some instructions. The Bible tells us pretty plainly how to be more Christlike:

Romans 13:14 tells us to "put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh in regard to its lusts".

And that's not all...there's more! Not only are we supposed to 'put on Christ', we're also supposed to put on humility:

1 Peter 5:5 says "You younger men, likewise, be subject to your elders; and all of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another...".


We're also supposed to put on something called 'the new self':

Ephesians 4:23-24 says that we should "...be renewed in the spirit of your mind, and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth".

Colossians 3:9 explains a bit more:

Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him...".

* And, we're told to put on:
* a heart of compassion
* kindness
* humility
* gentleness
* patience
* love


You get the picture. We're supposed to "put on" a whole bunch of things. In essence, we're supposed to act like Jesus until we become like Jesus. There's an old saying: "the clothes make the man". The general idea is that what you wear affects how you feel about yourself...and that by dressing like the person you want to be you will act like that person and eventually become that person. When the Bible tells us to "put on" those things, it's saying that we should act like Jesus. If we act like Jesus acted we will eventually become like Him.

Many non-Christians consider Jesus to have been a virtuous man. As Christians, our goal should be to be viewed in the same way. One last Bible verse...1 John 4:12: No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us". If we act like Jesus acted we become an example of what God is like. So, the next time you feel like just being yourself...don't.


Hmmm.
Maybe I need to stop being so real and honest..and start "putting" on. Maybe i'm suppose to be "fake" like everyone else...until one day we all become like Jesus. REAL.

Just a thought, not intended towards anyone or anything.













14 comments:

  1. Shay, I think we do have to "put on" Christ until it becomes more natural for us. We do have to make our flesh die...That is how we mature as Christians. We practice loving people God's way. I don't think that means being fake. I think it means finding a new way to live. I do think we have to speak truth in love but we must also trust the working of the Holy Spirit in others lives. Love you. Love that you think like you do. That is the only way to grow. We are not all fake...we are all growing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inspiring post. Our sermon last night was on this subject and it does make you think. So many people see Christians as fake and we need to truly be aware of how we behave. Sometimes the only Jesus people will see is the life we're living. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does make you think! Thanks for the reminder that I need to "put on" more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel that way a lot!! Of course not all the time because my spiritual gift of administration- well....one of my downfalls is being a little too much in your face sometimes.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phrase "fake it till you can make it" bounces around in my mind A LOT. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES!!
    You go girl!
    This is one of my MANY complaints for YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

    Great post!

    I'm very forward. Out going...
    (couldn't tell huh?) And majority of people look at me and gasp!
    I'm NEVER rude, insulting, or EVER throw the first punch. But if someone is rude. I'll call yer arse out! I don't care who you are.

    Bravo!!!!!!

    Awesome post :)
    Two thumbs and big toes up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post!! I feel the same way as you a lot but I am actually working more on "faking it" because I think we need to realize when it is important to say something and when it's not, and many times I think we need to take some time to think and pray about it before saying things. We never want to hurt people but what do we do when we feel like we are hurt. It's a fine line I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Guided by the Holy Spirit is key, I think. I don't think you can wrong, then. Sometimes we're to shut up, and sometimes we're to speak up. I'm often not confrontational ENOUGH - so, I know the HS prods me on to open my mouth more than I would like to. OFTEN - and, the closer I get to God, the more vocal I am. More of Him and less of me. You know? :)It's like the fruit of the Spirit - we can't conjur that up - the closer we get to God, the more we exhibit it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I think Christians seem more "fake" because they are held to a standard of how God asks us to love; but when we are walking in our selfishness and human wrongness we are just like everyone else... which then makes us look like the biggest hypocrites ever!

    Unfortunately, the best way to not be a "fake" christian, is to not claim to be a christian... which is not going to happen!!! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think there is a difference in being fake and knowing when to shut your mouth. Sometimes it is not important what you have to say, and we all need to know when to think before we speak. But being fake to me is just leading people on. There is no need to act one way in front of someone and then go talk behind their backs. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you're talking about Shay. It's a hard thing, especially with people you know you have to see again if it goes bad...

    I have to keep my judgment in check often, but God has taught me so much!

    We can't expect People to act like Christ if they don't even know Him! So that's where we come in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed the post!


    Real Blessings to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this post! Really has me thinking about stuff and my relationships with people!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry if my post wasn't what you were talking about "being fake" - I was thinking more about words than behavior. Oops. I agree with Brianne about being the same all the time - behind closed doors and in front of others. That still ties in with being led by the Spirit, not pride.
    I do think your post was great! Sorry if I misunderstood.

    ReplyDelete